Specifications of Barley
Berium places greater care and management on the quality of delivered barley. We provide some of the most diligently sourced malting barley which meets the highest quality requirements by maltsters and brewers. The following are some of the special features of malting barley provided by Berium:
- Fully mature, pure barley with wide range of acceptable varieties
- Protein content range of 11% to 12.5% (dry basis)
- Plump kernels of uniform size
- Moisture contentment of 13.5% maximum
- Germination of 95% or higher (three day test)
- Free of DON (deoxynivalenol) mycotoxin caused by fusarium head blight
- Free from disease
- Free from heat damage and chemical residues
- Less than 5% peeled and broken kernels
- Free of insects, treated seeds, admixtures, smut and odor
- Free from frost damage
- The specifications of barley supplied by Berium Group may vary as per special customer requirements
Types of Barley
Two-row barley has a lower protein level than six-row barley, hence more fermentable sugar content. High-protein barley is best suited for animal feed. Malting barley is usually lower protein
Hulless barleys are a type of barley in which the outer hull is loosely adhered to the kernel. The outer hull is so loose, that when this barley is harvested in the field, the outer hull is usually removed. It is sometimes referred to by processors as ‘naked’ barley.
Covered barley refers to barley variety with the outer hull still attached after harvesting. Covered barleys may be two-row or six row. Our customers may choose specifications of barley to suit their needs.
A head of two-row barley contains two rows of kernels along the length.
A head of six row barley contains six rows of kernels along its length, in two groups of three kernels each.
We work closely with our producer partners to ensure proper planning, production, harvesting and storage practices so that the specifications of barley delivered by Berium is in tandem with required parameters.
If you would like to make request for barley specification or like to contact us for our corporate offer and further information regarding any of barley varieties, please contact us: email@example.com